Saturday 1 September 2012

Onboard Scoot Airlines from Singapore to Gold Coast (and back)

I've recently came back from Australia about a week or so ago. This trip came about solely because of SIA's new budget carrier Scoot which offered real cheap prices to Aussieland. My friends and I paid about SGD$480 for a return trip (FlyBag there and FlyBagEat back).

The journey there was a night flight, so I did nothing but go to the toilet and sleep throughout the flight. I sat on a normal seat for both flights, and managed to get a few winks of sleep on my way there thanks to me bringing my Etihad (heh) flight blanket and pillow onboard, and the sleep eye mask my mom passed to me. So all in all it was a pretty tolerable flight, but I was the one who probably got the most sleep out of my travel companions. Guys might be more comfortable booking a larger seat/one with more leg space though. I flew back sitting next to my male friend and he was noticeably restless throughout the journey.

I didn't bother ordering any food on my way there, since all I wanted to do was sleep, but I did get tempted by the smells wafting from the Nasi Briyani being served. On my way back, since I had booked a meal pre-flight, I chose the Soya Sauce Chicken with Rice, which was served as a set meal together with a drink of my choice (I chose Evian) and a fruit cup. The food was pretty decent and I enjoyed it, albeit the fruit cup's syrup reminded me a little of cough syrup. There were 4 hot meals available during the time of my flight (Nasi Briyani, Soya Sauce Chicken, Chicken Stew & Beef Lasagna), each one cost $10 if purchased on the flight, and the set meal cost $16 onboard.

The 'normal' seats. You can see a glimpse of yellow seats at the side of the pic, those were the bigger seats available. 





My set meal! The plastic was pretty hard to tear, and I wasn't the only one facing a problem with it, others around me were too. 

I know this looks like a brown, unappetizing mess, but it tasted pretty good! Tender pieces of chicken, coupled with button mushrooms and quail eggs. Went nicely with the fragrant (though a tad dry) rice.

I had a great time in Queensland, and ate lots of good food there. Will post about them once I have the time. 

Tip: Do prebook entertainment (if you don't already have some) ESPECIALLY if you're on a long afternoon flight. I failed to do so thinking I would just get the rental iPad onboard, but to my horror it was all prebooked when I got onboard. Hence I had a mind-numbingly boring 7 1/2 hour flight back to Singapore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment